- Understand how different factors can influence young people’s risk of AOD use and harm
- Know the facts about alcohol and understand why younger people are particularly vulnerable to alcohol-related harms
- Know the alcohol guidelines and laws in Australia
- Be aware of information and support services available, and how to access different services.
Effective parenting practices
- Delay your child’s first alcoholic drink for as long as possible
- Role model low-risk drinking
- Build and maintain a healthy relationship with your child
- Establish family rules
- Monitor your child’s schedule, activities, physical whereabouts, and friends
- Encourage your child’s participation in supervised activities including recreation and sport
- Talk with your child about alcohol and other drugs
- Support school connectedness and attendance
- Build your child’s media literacy.