Video TranscriptDownload Transcript
All mentors need training if they are to possess the skills, attitudes, and activity ideas needed to effectively mentor a young person. Before you run the training, it may be useful to conduct a quick quiz to assess people’s knowledge base so that you can aim your content at the right level.
Activities & resources
Training sessions that incorporate a variety of activities will make the training engaging and suit a range of different people and their learning styles.
Consider activities including:
- role plays
- case studies using real world examples of situations mentors face in programs
- handouts and worksheets
- videos and vox pops
- group discussions
- specialist guest speakers.
Useful training resources
- Pre-training quiz (PDF)
Ice breaker - introductions activity
- Real life scenarios mentors face (A5, PDF)
- Real life scenarios mentors face (A4, PDF)
- Communication and limit setting (A5, PDF)
- Communication and limit setting (A4, PDF)
Session plans & training presentations
- Understanding people with disabilities (PDF)
- Cultural awareness (PDF)
- Development stages of youth (PDF)
- Communication and limit setting skills (PDF)